UPDATED – YOU CAN NOW MAKE ONLINE, TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS!!!
Athletic Development Fund (ADF Account). That sounds promising, what is it? Well, let me tell you about Athletic Development funds after a short intro…
I absolutely hate asking for money, and trust me, in short order, I can steer you in the direction of far more worthy needs than my own. Having said that, there have been some very generous people over the last couple years who have inquired as to making donations to what I am doing.
Although it is of high interest, I do not have a non-profit setup and I have been able to refer these people to some of the organizations that I’ve become involved with, that can readily put their tax deductible donations to unquestionably good use for groups of athletes and adaptive sport programs, myself include. Seriously, talk to me, I want to get you involved in all of these organizations that I’ve had the opportunity to discover.
And for those of you who might want to commit your tax deductible donations directly to my sport endeavors, I now have an Athletic Development Fund setup and managed by Adaptive Sports USA!
So, if you’d like to contribute to my athletic efforts, financially, with your tax deductible donations, send a check to:
Adaptive Sports USA
PO Box 621023
Littleton, CO 80162
c/o Kipp Wesslen Member 516
Adaptive Sports USA will provide you with a receipt for your donation. They hope to have this moved to an online option, in another month. As far as needs I have, and could use help with, here’s a brief list:
- Funds towards a handcycle (I’ll be purchasing used for the first, big money savings) so I can compete in Paratriathlon.
- Travel Expenses for competition and coaching (hoping to get a CAF Grant to help with some of this)
- Registration for races/events
- Tires, pushrim rubber, exercise clothes, etc.
Here are the details of what an ADF Account is, and how it works:
“The ADF account is a reimbursement account that pays out expenses incurred by an athlete or team upon submittal of receipts and ADF Reimbursement Request form on a monthly basis.
ADF Account Benefits
- Drum up invested support and a fan base!
- Low opening balance/account opening fee: $125.00 ($127.31 if paying by credit card).
- $100 opening balance (non tax-deducible).
- $25 account opening fee.
- NEW No annual account maintenance fee.
- All donations are tax deductible (see the part about parent/guardian donations below).
- A great way to raise and save money for out-of-state competitions while providing your supporters with a charitable tax benefit.
- Set fundraising goals to match athletic pursuits.
- Official donation receipts automatically sent to donors from Adaptive Sports USA.
- Donation invoices can be provided by Adaptive Sports USA if requested by the donor for payment.
- Reimbursements are sent out by the 30th of the month (28th in February).
- COMING SOON Monitor your ADF Account at any time. Know what your balance is, who’s donated, if your reimbursement has been approved and when we sent the reimbursement check.
- COMING SOON Custom fundraising campaigns for your fundraising efforts including goal tracking and a personalized fundraising page (additional cost will apply).
- Sport-related equipment.
- Sport-related clothing.
- Sport-related periodical subscriptions.
- Sport-related technical manuals/books.
- Registration fees for events.
- Foreign transaction fees for international sport-related expenses .
- Membership dues for other sport-related organizations and Adaptive Sports USA.
- Food (at the daily per diem rate, excluding alcohol).
- Airfare to/from events (reimbursed after the flight has been taken).
- Car rental and fuel (mileage excluded).
- Mileage for travel in a personal vehicle to and from sport-related activities/events (at the current mileage rate specified by the IRS, fuel excluded).
- Airport parking.
- Shuttle or taxi transportation to/from airport and to/from event.
- Chaperon/parent or Personal Care Assistant (PCA) expenses to accompany athletes to competition for athletes under 18 years of age or medically-classified PCA for special needs (one chaperone/parent or PCA is covered).
- Current members of Adaptive Sports USA in good standing.
- Account holders under 18 years must have a parent/guardian manage the account.
Because donors can make tax deductible contributions, there are a few things the IRS regulates and excludes from reimbursement, these items include:
- Athletes under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian designee.
- Parents or legal guardians cannot make donations to their minor dependent’s account or if the athlete is claimed as a dependent on tax returns; however, parents/guardians may make the opening deposit of $100 (not tax-deductible).
- ADF Accounts are reimbursement accounts, therefore, funds cannot be borrowed from the account.
- All expense receipts must fall within 12 months of the date of expense submission.
- All receipts submitted for reimbursement must be legible and itemized (i.e. itemized restaurant receipts must be included with the credit card slip).
- Line items from credit card statements cannot be reimbursed unless an itemized receipt is presented.
- Airfare receipts must be itemized and show all fees and taxes paid (boarding passes or general itineraries cannot be accepted).
- Airfare is reimbursed after travel has been completed.
- All funds must be available in the account before a reimbursement check can be cut (i.e. any and all donor checks must have cleared the bank before funds can be released).
- Purchase orders, quotes or itineraries cannot be accepted as receipts.
- Payments cannot be made directly to an outside vendor/assignee.
- Alcohol will not be reimbursed.
If you are interested in opening an ADF Account for yourself or your dependent, you can apply online or download the application form and include a check for $125 payable to Adaptive Sports USA and mail to:
Adaptive Sports USA
PO Box 621023
Littleton, CO 80162
You will receive a confirmation of your account opening once current membership has been verified. If you’re not a current member, click on the membership application in the quick links to apply for membership online.”